- January 2019: Ms. Kirah Shaw and Mr. Dhaivat Raval join our lab as undergraduate researchers; welcome to both!
- September 2018: Our article "Dicer-2 Regulates Resistance and Maintains Homeostasis against Zika Virus Infection in Drosophila" was accepted for publication in the Journal of Immunology.
- September 2018: Our article "Pre-exposure to non-pathogenic bacteria does not protect Drosophila against the entomopathogenic bacterium Photorhabdus" was accepted for publication in PLoS One.
- August 2018: Our article "Prolonged Storage Increases Virulence of Steinernema Entomopathogenic Nematodes Toward Drosophila Larvae" was accepted for publication in the Journal of Parasitology.
- August 2018: Our article "The Imaginal Discs growth factors 2 and 3 participate in the Drosophila response to nematode infection" was accepted for publication in Parasite Immunology.
- July 2018:
Our article "Trancriptional up-regulation of the TGF-beta intracellular signaling transducer Mad of Drosophila larvae in response to parasitic nematode infection" was published in Innate Immunity.
- June 2018:
Our article "Wounding-induced upregulation of the Bone Morphogenic Protein signaling pathway in Drosophila promotes survival against parasitic nematode infection" was published in Gene.
- April 2018:
Our article "Allatostatin C modulates nociception and immunity in Drosophila" was accepted for publication in Scientific Reports.
- March 2018:
Shruti presents and defends her PhD thesis successfully. Congratulations, Dr. Yadav!
- February 2018:
Addison Fry joins our lab as undergraduate researcher - Welcome Addison!
Our article "Thioester-Containing Proteins 2 and 4 Affect the Metabolic Activity and Inflammation Response in Drosophila" was accepted for publication in Infection and Immunity.
Our article "Endosymbiont-based immunity in Drosophila melanogaster against parasitic nematode infection" was accepted for publication in PLoS One.
Our article "Differential Regulation of Immune Signaling and Survival Response in Drosophila melanogaster Larvae upon Steinernema carpocapsae Nematode Infection" is published in the journal Insects.
- January 2018:
Happy New Year 2018! Busy and on track with the new semester. Time does FLY!
We are preparing for the upcoming annual DC Local Immunological Meeting as well. A dedicated website is in order to push information in real-time. Stay tuned on what we are offering this year and participate! Calls for all DC area immunologists!
- November 2017:
Our review article with the title 'Role of Endosymbionts in Insect-Parasitic Nematode Interactions' was published in Trends in Parasitology.
Taylor Brewer joins our lab as undergraduate researcher - Welcome Taylor!
- June 2017:
Shreya Washer from Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology joins our lab - Welcome Shreya!
Whidbey Bissell joins our lab as undergraduate researcher - Welcome Whidbey!
Upasana's newest paper entitled "Evolution and Function of Thioester-Containing Proteins and the Complement System in the Innate Immune Response" is published on Frontiers in Immunology. Link on our Twitter page!
We are sending Upasana our best wishes for all her future adventures! Stay in touch, Ups!
Not even a farewell prevents Upasana from releasing a paper! "The Drosophila thioester containing protein-4 participates in the induction of the cellular immune response to the pathogen Photorhabdus" was published in Developmental and Comparative Immunology. Click on the link on our Twitter page.
- May 2017:
Upasana Shokal is attending her graduation ceremony at GWU. We are so proud of her! Pssst, her picture is on our Twitter!
Upasana and Hannah publish a new research paper entitled "The distinct function of Tep2 and Tep6 in the immune defense of Drosophila melanogaster against the pathogen Photorhabdus" in Virulence. Congratulations, Upasana and Hannah!
Dustin Cooper publishes a new mini-review, entitled "Memory and Specificity in the insect immune System: Current Perspectives and Future Challenges" in Frontiers in Immunology. Congratulations, Dustin!
- March 2017: Big day for our lab! Upasana defends her PhD thesis successfully. Congratulations, Dr. Shokal!
- January 2017: Ms. Yaprak Ozakman joins the lab as a PhD student - Welcome Yaprak!
- December 2016: Our lab wins the GW Goes Green Challenge - Well done everyone!
- November 2016: Christa Heryanto joins the lab as research assistant - Welcome Christa!
- October 2016: Kyle Devine joins the lab as research assistant - Welcome Kyle!
- August 2016: Upasana's paper "Thioester-containing protein-4 regulates the Drosophila immune signaling and function against the pathogen Photorhabdus" was accepted for publication in the Journal of Innate Immunity.
- August 2016: Sudhamsh Tippireddy joins our lab as undergraduate researcher - Welcome Sudhamsh!
- August 2016: Dr. Sneh Harsh is joining our lab as postdoctoral researcher - Welcome Sneh!
- May 2016: Victoria Chevee wins the Atkin's award for the best Honors Thesis in the Department of Biological Sciences; Congratulations!!
- April 2016: Our paper entitled "The insulin receptor substrate Chico regulates antibacterial immune function in Drosophila" was accepted for publication in the journal Immunity & Ageing.
- April 2016: Nate Bachtel is awarded the CCAS Luther Rice Fellowship for the 2016-17 academic year!
- March 2016: Our paper entitled "RNAi-mediated gene knockdown by microinjection in the model entomopathogenic nematode Heterorhabditis bacteriophora" was published in the journal Parasites and Vectors.
- February 2016: Our paper entitled "Effects of co-occurring Wolbachia and Spiroplasma endosymbionts on the Drosophilaimmune response against insect pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacteria" was accepted for publication in the journal BMC Microbiology.
- October 2015: Our new postdoc Dr. Jelena Patrnogic is joining our lab - Welcome Jelena!
- September 2015: Our paper entitled "Entomopathogenic and plant pathogenic nematodes as opposing forces in agriculture" was accepted for publication in the journal International Journal for Parasitology.
- September 2015: Our paper entitled "An improved method for generating axenic entomopathogenic nematodes" was accepted for publication in the journal BMC Research Notes.
- August 2015: Dustin Cooper rejoins our lab, this time as graduate student. Welcome Dustin!
- August 2015: Yukari Usuda joins our lab as a Research Assistant. Welcome Yukari!
- July 2015: Upasana and Shruti presented their projects at the 13th International Society for Developmental and Comparative Immunology Congress in Murcia, Spain.
- June 2015: Our paper entitled "Drosophila anti-nematode and antibacterial immune regulators revealed by RNA-Seq" was accepted for publication in BMC Genomics.
- May 2015: Joanna defends successfully her and Enosinian Thesis - Congratulations!
- March 2015: We have received R01 funding from NIH!
- January 29, 2015: Upasana and Shruti win fellowships from the Cosmos Club Foundation. Congratulations!
- January 8, 2015: Our lab is moving to the new GWU Science and Engineering Hall!
- October 3, 2014: Upasana, Shruti and Joanna present their posters at the Harlan Posters event at GWU.
- September 2014: Joanna is selected to join the GW Enosinian Scholars program. Congratulations!
- September 2014: Akash Katakam and Katie Banks join the lab as undergraduate researchers.
- August 2014: Eric Kenney (PhD student) joins the lab.
- July 2014: We have received R56 funding from NIH!
- July 2014: Our paper entitled: "Nitric Oxide levels regulate the immune response of Drosophila melanogaster reference laboratory strains to bacterial infections" was accepted for publication in the journal Infection and Immunity.
- June 2014: Joanna Frazier joins the lab as undergraduate researcher and she receives a Harlan summer fellowship from the Biological Sciences Department - Congratulations!
- May 2014: We have received R21 funding from NIH!
- May 2014: Sarah, Julia and Tania present and defense successfully their Honors and Enosinian Theses - Congratulations!
- February 2014: Our paper entitled: "Age-dependent effector polyfunctionality attrition via CD8-intrinsic TGF-beta signaling" was accepted for publication in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.
- February 2014: Shruti Yadav has passed the Doctoral Comprehensive Examination - Congratulations!
- January 2014: Rachael Holbreich (Undergraduate student) joins the lab.
- September 2013: Bethany Stokes (MS student) and Tania Maldonado, Jack Fitzsimons (Undergraduate students) join the lab.
- June 27, 2013: Our paper entitled: "Hemocyte density increases with developmental stage in an immune-challenged forest caterpillar" was accepted for publication in PLoS One.
- May 30, 2013: Upasana wins a Harlan summer fellowship from the Department of Biological Sciences.
- May 18, 2013: Ioannis receives the GWU CCAS award for Excellence in Undergraduate Departmental Advising.
- April 25, 2013: Sarah was awarded the CCAS Luther Rice Fellowship for the 2013-14 academic year!
- April 3-6, 2013: Julio and Upasana presented their posters at the Drosophila Research Conference that was held in Washington DC.
- April 2, 2013: Jaishri Atri and Julia Accetta win 2nd prize at the GW Research Day for their poster presentation entitled: "Investigation of the role of endosymbiotic bacteria in the immune response to pathogenic infections" (see photos).
- April 1, 2013: Ioannis was chosen to receive the 2013 CCAS Undergraduate Department Advising Award. The award will be received on May 18th at the respective CCAS Celebration events.
- March 5, 2013: Julia Accetta was awarded the CCAS Luther Rice Fellowship for the 2013-14 academic year!
- February 27, 2013: Our review paper entitled: "Endosymbiotic bacteria in insects: guardians of the immune system?" was accepted for publication in the open-access journal Frontiers in Physiology.